Saturday 10 January 2015

I love Montmarte


Not long ago I was asked what was the best place I've been to in Paris. I stunned at the question, thinking, everything was amazing really. But to name one? Then it came to me, hands down, Montmarte. I'm not sure what kind of tourist I am, but I do know that I tend to find myself often lurking around the corners of markets and street food. 

To get to Montmarte, you can take the metro directly to its heart via Abbesses metro station. But if you want a gradual introduction into this amazing area, stop at metro Blance (Moulin Rouge) or metro Anvers, where you can make your way into Montmarte. The way to see Montmarte is to get lost in it. That is exactly what I did. But if you don't want to be lost for long, just look up for a giant church known as the Sacre-Coeur Basilica that sits on top of a hill in Montmarte. You shouldn't be lost for long after you've found it. But of course, a map works too. Before I began my journey to Montmarte, the guys were telling me that it's the red light district of Paris, now that just made it even more thrilling. On the bottom of the hill is Boulevard de Clichy, lined with sex shops, bars and kebab stalls.



Done with the getting there part, what does Montmarte have to offer? Well for starters, I could tell you a little about the Sacre-Coeur Basilica. The Basilica is based on roman architecture and was built in 1875 but took over 40 years to complete. It is said that during WW2, 13 bombs landed on the church, but resulting in no casualties, which lent a special status among the local people. Did I mention? There's also an amazing view of Paris! Entry to the Basilica is free, but you can pay a small sum to climb to the top of its tower for a better view. 


35 Rue du Chevalier de la Barre, 75018 Paris, France



Taking the advice of one of the locals, we went behind the church on a lookout for the painter's square. But what is actually called is Place du Tertre. Legend has it that it is the place where 20th century art used to roam. Parisians keep the legend alive by filling the streets with portrait sketchers, watercolor works and caricaturists. They are, really really good artists, but it does cost a hefty amount to get a piece of artwork from this place. Ultimately, I walked around being reminded of the lost generation of artists who have lived and worked in these narrow streets before such as Picasso, Van Gogh, Vlamenck...just to name a few. 

Place du Tertre, 75018 Paris, France



*Sigh* How I yearn to go back. Do me a favour, don't ever, ever, miss this place, the next time you're headed to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment